2020 Silwerskerm Webinar
Terms & Conditions
(Short film concepts for live pitch session online)
Are you a filmmaker who has a short film concept and would like the opportunity to be invited as one of Top 6 concepts to receive international mentorship and pitch the concept live at a pitch session during the 2020 Silwerskerm Webinar (“the Webinar”)?
M-Net is looking for the 6 best original South African stories that reflect our diverse cultures and represent our unique stories – stories with local authenticity and global relevance.
If this is you, now is your chance to submit the concept and participate at the live pitch session at the Webinar and stand a chance to get mentorship and development funding for your short film concept.
Entries close: 21 August 2020
How to enter:
• Register on the Silwerskermfees.co.za web page
• Complete the entire entry form.
• Upload a short film concept, of no more than 250 words, as well as a video, of not more than 60 seconds and 50 megabytes, pitching the concept.
Your entry implies a binding acceptance of the terms and conditions as per below:
1. Entries have to reach M-Net/Silwerskerm on or before 21 August 2020.
2. Entries that do not adhere to the submission requirements will not be accepted or considered. Any entries submitted after the closing date will not be considered, irrespective of the reason for such delay.
3. Applicants below the age of 18 must only complete the online application form with the necessary assistance from a legal guardian. Applicants must be the persons to be contacted by the organisers regarding their submissions.
4. Applicants must be citizens of the Republic of South-Africa at the time of submitting entries.
5. All communications submitted must be clearly identified with the title of the film as reference.
6. M-Net accepts no responsibility related to costs incurred on submitting the entry.
7. Each participant must ensure that all information supplied is complete and correct. M-Net and its affiliated companies are not responsible for any errors and/or omissions in any information received in reaction to the entry.
8. M-Net and its affiliated companies are not responsible for any submissions which had not been received by M-Net, be it within the specified time period or not, and irrespective of the reason for such non-receipt. M-Net and its affiliated companies will not be responsible for any problems or technical errors of any telephone networks or –lines, online computer systems, computer service providers or suppliers, computer hardware or software problems, traffic congestion (be it physical or on the internet, telephone lines, or any other service providers, website or any other device or medium), or any combination thereof, or any other technical or other problems not listed herein.
9. M-Net and its affiliated companies are not responsible for any loss or damage to a participant’s or any other person’s computer, cellular phone or other device used by the participant to enter and or submit or to obtain any material related to the applicant’s entry.
10. M-Net shall appoint a selection committee which shall select, from the submitted entries, the top 6 short film concepts to be invited to pitch online. The selection committee shall select, and has the final say on the top 6 concepts that will be invited to participate in the live pitching session. In this case, participants whose submissions are selected into the top 6 will be notified by no later than 28 August 2020.
11. After selection of an entry into the top 6, the participant will be required to undergo two training sessions, covering the pitching of film concepts, organised by M-Net on 31 August 2020 and 3 September 2020 respectively.
12. Each participant in the top 6 will pitch their film concept to the Webinar audience on the 4th of September 2020.
13. From the 6 concepts pitched, a judging panel (appointed by M-Net at its sole discretion) will select the winning pitch. The winning participant will receive development/production finance from M-Net in the amount of R250 000.00 (“the M-Net Funding”). The M-Net Funding will be used in the further development/production of the winning concept based on M-Net’s standard commissioning terms. The M-Net standard commissioning terms include, without limitation: copyright and all other rights in the programme produced being owned by M-Net; M-Net being able to exploit the programme on any platform in perpetuity.
14. From the 6 concepts pitched, the Webinar audience will also vote for their favourite pitch (“the Audience Favourite”). The participant whose pitch is the Audience Favourite will, together with their partner, be entitled to: attend the Silwerskerm film festival in 2021 (“the 2021 Festival”); and 2 nights’ stay, during the 2021 Festival, at The Bay Hotel (or any similar venue chosen by M-Net).
15. M-Net and its affiliated companies are not responsible for, and are indemnified from all liability, losses, injury, expense or damage of any nature, caused through negligence or any other reason, suffered by participants forth flowing from the participant’s entry under these
terms and conditions, or due to any act or omission by M-Net or our affiliated companies in relation to these terms and conditions.
16. M-Net reserves the right to allow participation at the Festival, or amendment of any other aspect thereof, to postpone, suspend or cancel the Festival or such participation for whatever reason M-Net may deem fit. In terms of such amendment, postponement, suspension or cancellation, to the participants waive any rights, interests or expectations that they might have in relation to the entry and acknowledge that they will have no right of recourse against M-Net, its affiliated companies or third-party service providers.
17. In the event of any non-compliance with these terms and conditions by a participant, M-Net will, in addition to any legal recourse available –
a) automatically disqualify a participant; and
b) be entitled to claim any loss or damage it has suffered caused by the participant’s non-compliance, including all legal costs (on an attorney-client scale) which M-Net may incur in any steps instituted against the participant.
18. The participant hereby indemnifies and holds M-Net and affiliated companies harmless against any liability, claims or damage suffered by any person as a result of the participant’s conduct.
19. For reference purposes “affiliated companies” means any other entity Controlling, Controlled by or under common Control with the M-Net. “Control” (including the terms “Controlling”, “Controlled by” and “under common Control with”) means the possession, direct or indirect, of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of an entity, whether through the ownership of voting securities, by contract or otherwise.
20. These terms and conditions will be interpreted and enforced in terms of the laws of the Republic of South Africa.